Best New SDR RTL2832U R820T2 HF reception 100K-1.8G full bands TXCO 0.5 PPM SMA software defined radio accurate frequency avoiding shift
This is an RTL-SDR software defined radio receiver with RTL2832U ADC chip, R820T2 tuner, 1PPM TCXO, SMA F connector and aluminium case with passive cooling. Tunes from 100 kHz to 1.8 GHz with up to 3.2 MHz (2.4 MHz stable) of instantaneous bandwidth. (HF works in direct sampling mode). Perfect for use as a computer based radio scanner with free software like SDR#, HDSDR, SDR-Radio, GQRX or SDR Touch on Android. Works on Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android and single board computers like the Raspberry Pi.
Improved passive component tolerances
A 1 PPM temperature compensated oscillator (TCXO)
HF mode via direct sampling built in (can tune down to 500 kHz unlike basic RTL-SDR’s which can only go to 24 MHz)
SMA F connector
Aluminium shielded case with thermal pad for passive cooling to improve L-Band performance
Software activatable 4.5v bias tee circuit
Improved PCB design for lower noise and less spurs
A USB noise choke, more bypass capacitors, and built in ferrites for less PC noise
Improved ESD protection (additional ESD diode and extra ESD discharge paths)
An improved front end circuit designed for wideband use (other models still use a circuit designed for DVB-T only)
Several breakout pads on the PCB for advanced users
This is an RTL-SDR software defined radio receiver with RTL2832U ADC chip, R820T2 tuner, 1PPM TCXO, SMA F connector and aluminium case with passive cooling. Tunes from 500 kHz to 1.7 GHz with up to 3.2 MHz of instantaneous bandwidth (2.4 MHz max stable, 3.2 MHz max if your application is tolerant to USB drops). (HF works in direct sampling mode – V.3 models and above only). Perfect for use as a computer based radio scanner with free software like SDR#, HDSDR, SDR-Radio, Linrad, GQRX or SDR Touch on Android. Works on Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android and even embedded Linux computers like the Raspberry Pi.This model has several key improvements over other models. It uses the improved R820T2 tuner, has a 1PPM TCXO (2 PPM initial offset, 1 PPM temperature drift), has improved component tolerances and an SMA F connector. It also comes with a software activatable bias-tee circuit for powering external devices such as LNA’s and active antennas. It also has HF reception capabilities. Most standard RTL-SDR dongles can tune down to 24 MHz at the lowest. This model has hardware that unlocks the “direct sampling mode”, and allows for tuning down to 500 kHz. There is a built in 25 MHz low pass filter for optimizing this mode.
Various other improvements over other models have also been applied. For example a choke has been added on the USB line and additional bypass capacitors and power line ferrites have been added for reduced internal & PC noise, the PCB has been redesigned for significantly lower noise performance, ESD protection has been improved, the front end circuit has been optimized for wideband use (other models are still optimized for DVB-T frequencies), the LDO has been upgraded, and several break out pads have been added for advanced users.
The device requires USB 2.0 (works on most USB 3.0 ports, but we cannot guarantee it to work on all so please ensure your PC has a native USB 2.0 port just in case). Installation on Windows is simple,
Why you need TXCO temperature controlled oscillator?
As the dongle heats up from use, the oscillator will experience thermal drift, causing the frequency offset to change. The TCXO should be immune to this problem due to it’s temperature compensation circuitry. To test the temperature compensation, we cooled both a TCXO dongle and a standard dongle down in a refrigerator first to simulate cool climate conditions. We then measured the change in PPM offset after 30 minutes of dongle operation. As expected, the TCXO had almost zero drift after 30 minutes (<<1 PPM), whereas the standard dongle had a drift of about 6-7 PPM (approx. 1 KHz drift).
TCXO Oscillator -Frequency drift after 30 minutes
Standard Oscillator Frequency drift after 30 minutes
- <1 PPM temperature compensated oscillator (TCXO) – Accurate tuning and almost zero temperature drift (2 PPM max. initial offset, 0.5-1 PPM temperature drift)
- SMA female antenna port – Generic dongles use the less common MCX or PAL antenna ports. SMA is more common, so more adapters and antennas are available for it. It is also more durable and has lower RF insertion losses.
- HF reception in Direct Sampling Mode – Listen to 100 kHz – 25 MHz with direct sampling. Simply connect an HF antenna to the SMA port, and choose the Q-branch mode. There is a built in 25 MHz low pass filter, but additional HF filters may be required for optimal performance (e.g. to attenuate strong MW AM).
- Better Cooling system, big Aluminium case and passive cooling – These units come stock with an aluminium case and passive cooling via two cooling fans. And the PCB board is designed especialy for passive cooling design by the cooling holes and big aluminum enclosure. This stops reception failing due to heat above ~1.2 GHz
- Use R820T2 tuner, higher quality passive components, a choke on the USB line to reduce USB noise, a much improved PCB design for significantly less internal spurs and noise, various break-out pads, improved ESD protection, additional bypass capacitors and ferrite power line chokes, improved front end matching circuit and a better LDO
- lower overall noise, more sensitivity.Can tune from 100 kHz to 1.8 GHz and has up to 3.2 MHz (2.4 MHz stable) of instantaneous bandwidth. (HF reception below 24 MHz runs in direct sampling mode)
- With LNA, low noise amplifier for the HF signals. 10 times amplification than normal HF reception.
Great for many applications including general radio scanning, air traffic control, public safety radio, ADSB, AIS, ACARS, trunked radio, P25 digital voice, POCSAG, weather balloons, APRS, NOAA APT weather satellites, radio astronomy, meteor scatter monitoring, DAB, or for use as a low cost panadapter with a traditional ham radio.
A standard sales content: 1 X RTL SDR V3 Pro USB dongle ;
B: 1X RTL SDR V3 Pro USB dongle + small FM telescopic antenna;